Gorillaz - Escape to Plastic Beach

My first concert experience in Hong Kong was seeing Gorillaz live at Asia World Expo. I was blown away by how small Asia World was, when that was the biggest venue here. You could fit at least 10 of the arena into the ACC, probably more. I didn't know whether I would enjoy seeing this band as I really had no idea what Gorillaz was all about, besides that they were cartoons instead of actual human beings.
If I had not been 'dragged' there by my dad though, I would probably still be ignorant to the bliss of Gorillaz.
A quick description of Gorillaz is that they are a giant band that has orchestral members, rock band members, and musicians that play even other different cultural instruments. They are mainly known for their style of being fronted by cartoon characters instead of representing themselves as really people. Also they have members from both The Clash and Blur in the band.
Gorillaz put on an AMAZING show! They are really a must see band! They had their videos playing in the back while the song was being performed and you could really tell that the lead singer absolutely loved what he was doing. With the inclusion of the videos, it really felt like there was a story flowing throughout the whole concert. They had a lebanese band with them on the tour that performed during songs and even did 2 songs of their own. I thought this was quite a nice touch as it really showed how worldly the band was and the different cultures it infused together. They also had a local act onstage with them that night, I think she was "Mrs Dragon". She sang and played a traditional Chinese instrument.  The lead singer of Gorillaz had written a song for Hong Kong back in the 90s for a charity album and they performed it during the concert. I was greatly impressed with the performance and had not seen much on this level. Also Gorillaz really helped to nurture my interest in alternative, indie and other more underground sound, which in turn helped me to acquire appreciation for many other unknown bands.
Anybody who at least likes music or even going to concerts, should go see Gorillaz!
Clint Eastwood live in Hong Kong.

4 comments:

passionfruits said...

I LOVE THE NEW TITLE OF THE BLOG!
It so much better than the old one.

Adrian Ho said...

The detail is so authentic.

The Expat said...

Thank you! :D

zebrapants said...

cool. posts are too long though
lots of good effort