City and Colour - September 2012

 Hey Rosetta were the first band of the night to perform. They are a six piece Canadian indie folk rock band from Newfoundland. I quite enjoyed their set, as it was energetic and packed with lighthearted songs that prepared the audience for the rest of the evening. Hey Rosetta were a great band to begin the set for the concert, and are receiving ever growing recognition for their great music. They are definitely an up and coming band to check out.
Grey Kingdom are one of my personal favourites, as I have seen the band perform once before. They have a beautiful folk sound which is impossible to resist. I was glad to have the chance to see them again, as they always put on a great show. Even though their music is more relaxed, they still have the energy in their performance to engage the audience. Aaron Goldstein, a pedal steel guitarist, whom I have seen playing with other bands before (mainly at Hillside Festival) accompanied Grey Kingdom, and also joined the headliner, City and Colour, later that same evening. Grey Kingdom have recently released a new album, Light, I'll Call Your Name Out "Darkness". It is absolutely great and I quite enjoy it! It is definitely a must-have!
 The Avett Brothers, the only international band of the night, are a popular indie-folk-rock band from North Carolina. They put on a rambunctious set, with all of the band members moving around quite a lot, including the cellist! They played many of their hits, such as I and Love and You, as well as material from their new album. They put on a memorable performance with much variety of pace and tone to the songs of their set. I would definitely go see them at a headlining performance.
City and Colour put on a fantastic show after following such great opening acts. I had been waiting for the chance to see City and Colour as I really enjoy his music. It was a show that definitely did not disappoint! Dallas Green, formerly part of Alexisonfire, performed a great variety of material from all of  his albums; enough so to satisfy any fan of City and Colour. He was able to continue to command the energy of the audience throughout his set, even though he was performing soft acoustic songs. It was amazing to see him be able to quiet over 12 000 people during sold out show at the Ampitheatre, with only a few words. I absolutely loved City and Colour's performance and cannot wait until the next chance that I am able to see him perform live!

No comments: