Avril Lavigne - Black Star

via Flickr
Back in 2004 the song, Sk8er Boi, was blasting everywhere in Canada. The radio, malls, you name it! Everybody at school knew the words to the song. This was just the beginning of the constant airplay Avril Lavigne would get in Canada.
Then when I heard she was coming to Hong Kong on her Asian tour, I knew I should take advantage of seeing her live. When the date rolled around in May, I was excited to see another Canadian artist away from home so I decided to bring our Canadian flag from home (that we had acquired for the Rugby 7s) like with how I made a flag for the Michael Bublé
Once Avril finally got on stage after an hour and a half wait with no opening act, she performed a solid set of both her hits and songs from her new album. She also did a good job of meshing them all together as her new album is more acoustic and the style is different from her other albums. Therefore her show wasn't as full scale as her other tours partly because the Hong Kong venue is so small and also because there was no need for back up dancers on her new songs. Her voice is relatively good live though it was a bit weak during some parts of a couple songs with large ranges. My favourite part was probably when she asked everybody in the crowd to put their glow sticks up in the air and she proceeded to "steal" one from a fan to use for her next song. Also while singing at one point she noticed my friends and I waving around our Canadian flag, though she did not thank us profusely like Michael Bublé did.
At some points it was hard to see where she was on the stage as on the floor you do not have the advantage of the slight incline there is usually with sitting. Though in Hong Kong people are not as tall so I had pretty good view for most of the concert. Also most of the audience there was either girls in their teens that were both locals or expats, and also locals that were in their twenties. All in all I thought she did a good job, even though her set wasn't as long as I thought it would be.
Avril Lavigne performing Wish You Were Here in Hong Kong!

No comments: