The Drums In-store at Sonic Boom

I want to buy you something but I don't have any moneyyy.
The Drums are an up and coming indie band from Brooklyn, New York with a beachy pop infused with synths sound, that are unlike any other band. They are definitely a band to watch out for.
Personally The Drums are one of my favourite bands and when I found out they were coming to Toronto but you had to be eighteen to get into The Mod Club, I was extremely disappointed since I had already missed their concert when they came to Hong Kong. Though when I found out they were doing a free in-store performance at a record store at Bloor and Bathurst the day of, I couldn't believe my luck!
Since it was a free performance in a record shop, the set was only five songs long but it was still a great show. The Drums were very good live and were just as good as their records, if not better. Also Jonny Pierce, the lead singer, has a very unique stage persona which is reinforced by his dancing. The crowd there was around a hundred people, in their twenties to late thirties and they seemed to be enjoying the show as well, all bobbing unanimously to the songs.
I was the one of the first at Sonic Boom for the show, being an hour early so I was able to browse the store for a while, and I suggest that anybody should go by Sonic Boom Records, it has a huge selection of CDs, DVDs, vinyls and tshirts. When The Drums came into the shop they were just walking around so I was able to get the guitarist and Jonny Pierce to sign my Portamento CD (their second and newest album) which I had only bought a few days before and already listened to a lot. After the show they hung out around the store a bit and I was able to get the rest of the band to sign my CD. The band was also very nice and Jonny Pierce was especially talkative and very personable. I was able to ask them about Hong Kong and they had said they liked the city and wished they had been there longer than 24 hours.
The Drums are certainly a must-see band and most people I've introduced to their music so far have liked them.
The Drums performing Money at Sonic Boom, Toronto

4 comments:

Julie said...

That is SOOO cool!!

Janey256 said...

Sounds like fun! Love the blog!!

Anonymous said...

Sonic Boom is at Bloor and Bathurst ;)

The Expat said...

Haha thanks! Don't know my Toronto streets that well yet XD