Bill Frisell plays Lennon at the Toronto Jazz Festival

Bill Frisell plays Lennon, was yet another Beatles tribute that I attended this year with each one being different from the last. Bill Frisell is a talented jazz musician who has done an album of John Lennon classics in his own style and interpretation.
I really enjoyed this performance since it was interesting to see the jazz version of quite a few John Lennon songs done live. The band with him was very talented and did a great job with the interpretations, really helping to bring new life to the songs. They also played a variety of John Lennon material, spanning his whole career including both early and late Beatles songs as well as hits from his solo career. My favourite arrangements from this album/performance are probably #9 Dream, Julia and In My Life. All are very well done and keep the essence of Lennon in them as well as being unique versions of the songs. Even though I am not a huge fan of John Lennon's music I still really enjoyed the performance and music from the album, and definitely recommend it.
Number 9 Dream (#9 Dream) by Bill Frisell on Grooveshark

No comments: