Billy Talent - Dead Silence

Billy Talent are not one of my favourite bands, and I have never taken the time to listen to their music even though I have been surrounded by friends over the years who have enjoyed this Canadian band.
Even so, I decided to tag along when one of my friends went to see them. I knew it would be worth it, since two Ontario bands whose music I enjoy would be opening up the show. I was surprised to see that small Barrie duo, Indian Handcrafts, would be starting off the night, but I was even more surprised when I saw that Hollerado was on the bill! This cinched the deal though, since I love Hollerado.
This was definitely not my usual kind of concert to attend. I will admit I felt awkwardly out of place throughout the night. For one, it was at the Air Canada Centre, which even though I have seen a few shows there before, it's not one of my favourite venues since usually the shows there have a much more impersonal feel. Also the crowd just isn't who I'm usually attending concerts with; youthful indie rock fans or old long haired classic rockers. It seemed everyone there (even though I was sitting very far from the stage) was huge Billy Talent fans except for myself. I recognized a couple of the songs, and enjoyed their live performance well enough. The lead singer has a very unique and melodic voice. Regardless, I was not impressed by their performance though. It was your typical punk rock stadium show. Somewhat energetic but lacking, and completely interchangeable. By the time Hollerado, the second opener, had finished I was ready to go home for the night. Afterwards the show hit a slight lull. Also it was definitely the weirdest Hollerado performance I have ever seen. For one thing, I was at the opposite end of the ACC from them, when usually I have seen them in much smaller spaces and have also been much closer to the stage. They were about the size of a finger nail, which was very difficult to fathom. Also no one else in my section was into Hollerado, and many people actually left during their set! I swear I got some weird looks while singing along to the indie-rock band's catching choruses.
My least favourite part of the show was definitely Sum 41's set. I couldn't stand their music. It wasn't catchy. It wasn't melodic. It was just loud, bashing noise with what could maybe be considered singing by Deryk Whibley. Also Whibley has an aptitude towards profanities after just about every other word.
All in all, it wasn't the worst concert I've attended. But it was definitely not the best either. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more, had Sum 41 been removed from the bill. But regardless, I don't think I'll be attending another Billy Talent show anytime soon.

No comments: