Heart - Canadian Tour 2013


I was going to start off and state that this wouldn’t be a post praising Heart but who am I kidding? They’re one of my all time favourite bands; of course I found their Massey Hall performance astounding.
The Wilson sisters definitely put on one of the best shows I’ve ever been to. They were able to please Heart fans from any decade, playing a variety of favourites from their 70s, 80s and present material. It made for a great dynamic throughout the set with a variation in both tone and pace of the songs, showing a great appreciation for all Heart music eras. Ann Wilson’s voice is still as amazing and beautiful as ever. It was especially stellar on their performance of the 1980’s hit Alone. The two sisters performed an acoustic version of the song with only the accompaniment of keyboards, similar to their version off the live 1995 album, The Road Home. It was so different from the over the top, power ballad version that everyone knows and loves, but never the less it was HEARTbreakingly beautiful. (I apologize for the pun, but how could I not?)
Another highlight of the show was the opening act, Simon Townshend, Pete Townshend’s (guitarist and creative genius of The Who) younger brother. He proved to be quite the talented musician himself. I really enjoy his album Looking Out, Looking In, and would definitely recommend it as a good pick!
Heart also performed a few covers in their set, ending off the show with both a Led Zeppelin and The Who cover. Ann’s voice suits Robert Plant’s vocal parts perfectly; sending the crowd into a frenzy when the band returned for encores, with the screeching start of Black Dog. They polished off their set with a magnificent cover of one of my favourite The Who songs, Love Reign O’er Me (Pete’s Theme from the album, Quadrophenia - which I had the chance of seeing The Who perform live in November.) This was of course performed with Simon Townshend, and Ann gave Roger Daltrey’s vocal ability a run for his money.
All in all, Heart put on a fantastic show and I can’t wait till my next chance to see the Wilson sisters live! They are a must-see show!!

No comments: