Early Years

In my childhood, before the past year of concert insanity, I had been to three concerts. One of which I don't remember. I was quite young at the time, possibly 2 years old, when I went to see the Shuffle Demons with my parents in Ottawa, Canada. I am still quite proud that I saw them live, even though I don't have any recollection of it, as I love their song, Spadina Bus. The video shows the TTC buses themselves even!

My next musical experience was around the age of eight, when I saw Gordon Lightfoot, a Canadian folk singer-sonwriter from Orillia, Ontario. This concert was in the Canon Theatre in Downtown Toronto. I had always quite liked his music such as his songs: Don Quixote, If You Could Read My Mind, and Bitter Green. All I really remember from that concert was when I fell asleep during the song Home From the Forest. It's quite a beautiful song but I was so relaxed due to his soft, folky sound I dozed off after an hour. Only to be awoken for my favourite song of his at the time, Black Day in July.


The last of my concerts before my yearlong trek through music, was a free Petula Clarke performance at the Ex/CNE (Canadian National Exhibition; a county fair sort of thing that takes place in the summer in Toronto) a couple summers ago. It was only around an hour in length but she had also been a childhood favourite, each song paired with fond memories of singing in the car to Downtown, and Don't Sleep in the Subway. She played a good set of her big hits and did a good show for someone of her age. I had noticed there that I was probably the only person under the age of 45, that was there on my own free will and was also excited to see her live!

No comments: