Taylor Swift - Fearless

via TaylorSwift.com
The first concert in my long haul of music was Taylor Swift. I saw her on her tour for her second album Fearless at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. I technically count it as my first proper concert being that I can remember it and it was a solid not quite 2 hour set with an over the top performance. She had two opening acts with her. A country band, Gloriana, and her "BFF", Kellie Pickler. Gloriana was not the greatest as they had bad quality amps or a problem with them, as their sound was bad and the ACC has good acoustics. Kellie Pickler was relatively good but it was distracting how she waved at the audience... constantly! I counted that she waved 32 times in just one song!
Taylor Swift on the other hand, put on a great show with costumes and effective use of the stage. For her song Love Story she put on a princess dress and the stage was made to look like a castle. With You Belong With Me it was practically a reenactment of the video with her in a school band costume and school lockers projected on the stage. She was singing live (I'm not fond of lipsynchers) as she was a bit pitchy at times. Many of my peers had opted out of seeing her due to the fact that she was "not any good live" but I think she's been working with a vocal coach to improve that for she wasn't too bad. She happened to do many costume changes on stage and had a bit of an obsession with sparkly dresses for she wore about 10 different ones, all in different colours. At one point in the show, Taylor Swift went into a section of the audience and gave everyone hugs on the aisle. Personally not being a huge "T-swizzle" fan, I found this a waste of time and wanted her to get on with the show. I did like the fact though that she did an acoustic set in the center of the floor at one point. She was playing a 12-string acoustic guitar at one point and decided to tell us what the difference from a 6-string and a 12-string was. Being a guitar player myself, I thought of toned down but accurate definition of the instrument, thinking that this is what she would tell an audience of adolescent girls, who the majority had probably never played guitar. Instead Taylor Swift told us it had "twice as many strings", after that moment my respect for her dropped a bit...
But all in all she was better than her "Disney" peers and the others that appeal to the teeny-boppers of today. I would recommend to see her if you like country/pop and sparkly dresses.
Love Story live in Toronto.http://taylorswift.com/

No comments: