Hollerado Instore - White Paint

If you have not guessed by now that Hollerado are one of my all-time favourite bands, than I don't know what you were doing reading this blog.
It also seems redundant for me now to review a Hollerado show as I think so highly of their performances, and have seen them countless times. But this show stood out for me particularly (though honestly, doesn't every Hollerado show?) as it took place at my favourite record shop in Toronto, Sonic Boom. What could be better? And to add to this already amazing show, they were promoting the release of their latest album, White Paint.
To be honest, I was a bit hesitant about the new album. I am with any new release from a favourite artist. After hearing the first single released off the album, Pick Me Up, any doubts I had disappeared. I knew this would be another fantastic indie rock album. Now I'm going to try my best not to continually praise the album over and over. So I'll state straight off the bat that this is a fantastic album. All their new songs are incredibly catchy, not just the singles! This album really presented how the band has matured during the time since their debut release. This gained wisdom and craftsmanship was evident in their ever improving live shows, but this was the first demonstration of these improvements from a studio setting. There is a variety of tone and pace present in the songs, with many upbeat, catchy indie anthems, but also softer songs, such as personal favourite, Lonesome George. Also there was a maturity in the songwriting produced with this album as well. Many of the songs tell a story, such as the hit-single, So It Goes, which tells the story of Menno Versteeg's (the lead singer) grandfather during the second World War.
White Paint is definitely an album that needs to be acquired by anyone in Toronto that loves music. It's a killer album packed full with energetic tunes!

No comments: