Record Store Day 2012

Record Store Day has been around for five years now but this was the first one that I was able to participate in. It's a great way to celebrate local, independent record stores! A variety of artists have special releases (either singles or EPs usually) for the day on vinyl that are carried at record stores participating in the event.
The first store that I visited on RSD was Kops Records, located on Queen St. West only a few steps from the Osgoode subway station. They have probably the best selection of 45s in Toronto, and sell both used and new records in pretty much every genre. They were very busy on Record Store Day, with the store being rather packed in the small space - though it was not impossible to move (which was a good thing!), whereas when I've been there before, there are not nearly as many people. I enjoy going to Kops to browse the vinyls, and it's a place to check out if you are looking for something specific on vinyl.
Check them out at: www.kopsrecords.ca
Follow them on twitter: @kopsrecords
And find them on Facebook at either: Kops Page or Kops Profile
The next record store that I visited was Neurotica Records, also situated on Queen West but several blocks from Kops. I had wanted to visited the store ever since I heard about it, since it is known for its great deals on CDs, vinyls and DVDs. The store is small and cramped, just like any typical record store. The size and space reminded me of Vortex Records, one of my favourite shops down at Yonge and Eglinton. The whole stole was rather disorganized, though not completely that you wouldn't be able to find anything. Anyways the whole point of going to one of these shops pretty much is to browse!
Check out Neurotica at: www.neurotica.ca
Follow them on Twitter: @neurotica3
I was originally planning to only visit Frantic City Records after Neurotica, due to there only being so many hours in a day, but once I reached this section of Queen St. West, and noticing how Hits and Misses (the store underneath Frantic City) is directly next door to Rotate This, I decided since I was already visiting a ton of Toronto record stores, I may as well throw in a few more to my trip.
Rotate This stock lots of vinyl, as well as some CDs. They have both used and new at good prices, and in quite a few genres. This was busiest store that I visited so far, with the cash lineup being all the way to the back of the store. I wasn't surprised though since it is one of the most popular record stores in the city and I had been seeing people with bags from the shop all morning.
Check them out at: www.rotate.com
Follow them on Twitter: @RotateThisYYZ
Like them on Facebook at: Rotate This Page
After my brief look around in Rotate This, I headed over to their direct neighbour, Hits and Misses who house Frantic City Records above them. Hits and Misses mainly focuses on punk music, with the next biggest focus being metal and hardcore, as well as The Rolling Stones (whose items I noticed in almost every corner of the shop.) They carry vinyl, and CDs, as well as tshirts and posters. Even though I am not that into punk music and hardcore, I still thought that the store was cool and was surprised by how busy it was since it even on Record Store Day, due to it being so specialty. Frantic City Records, which is located directly above Hits and Misses, focuses on stocking vinyls from the 50s to 70s eras, which was my main intrigue to the store, being as lots of music that I like comes from these decades.
Check out Hits and Misses: http://hitsandmisses416.blogspot.ca/
I'm ashamed to admit that I only just visited Soundscapes the other day for the first time. I've known about the place for months but I had never really gotten the chance till now to head over to the College Street location. Soundscapes is very unique, in that is doesn't stock used items like most independent record stores nowadays. Instead it consists of a carefully selected inventory, consisting of some great music picks. Also their main focus is on CDs rather than vinyl, and they sell tickets for a lot of local concerts.
Check them out at: www.soundscapesmusic.com
Follow them on Twitter: @SoundscapesTO
Or like them on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/soundscapesmusic
The final store that I visited was of course Sonic Boom which I frequent way too often. If you do not know already, they carry a huge variety of music in every genre on both CD and vinyl as well as cassette. Their Annex location is huge, housing a large DVD, VHS and tshirt section as well, all of these being both new and used. They also host quite a few live performances of both local bands and those passing through on tour. Sonic Boom also has a Kensington Market location which is a vinyl specialty shop. They carry again all sorts of music both new and used, as well as a good selection of 45s and 8-tracks. Sonic Boom is definitely the place to go if you like any sort of music and are looking to find a couple items off of your "to get" list.
Check them out at: www.sonicboommusic.com
Follow them on Twitter: @SonicBoomMusic
And keep up to date with them on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/groups/SonicBoomRecords

No comments: